Skip to main content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
What is a journal?
A journal is a scholarly publication containing articles written by researchers, academics and other experts. Journals focus on a specific discipline or field of study. A journal is usually published in parts and each part contains a range of articles by different authors on their latest research, thinking and ideas. Because jorunals are published frequently, they contain the most up to date information.
- From the Library website click on the catalogue.
- Type in the title of the journal and click on search.
- Identify in which library and section of a library the journal is kept.
- Most print journals may be borrowed for 3 days, or articles can be photocopied.
Many academic journals are not freely available via Google. Libraries pay for access to them.
- From the 'Electronic resources' page option on the Library Website click on 'e-Journals A-Z'.
- Type in the title of the journal.
- If the journal is available online, access details will be provided showing where the journal appears and the time coverage. Click on the relevant link.
If you are not sure in which journals articles appear, search a database - a collection of journals searchable by author, topic etc. Click on the Databases tab at the top of this page.
Another route is Google Scholar, a subset of Google, which indexes scholarly literature: articles, reports, books, theses etc.
The following are some of the e-journals accessible via UKZN:
South African journals
SABINET is a series of collections of South African publications, many of which are not accessible anywhere else.
There are two main journal collections:
- Index to SA Periodicals (ISAP) which is an index only, toa rticles in all South African journals and some magazines since 1987.
- SA and African Electronic Journals which contains a collection of journals for which full text access is available.
Once at the Sabinet page, click on the 'Seacrh' tab and choose the required database.
All information © 2018 University of KwaZulu-Natal. All rights reserved.