1. 001.4 and 300.7... are the core numbers for books on a wide range of research methods, methodology and research design etc.
2. 910.7 Research methods in geography
3. 808.... Writing dissertations and scientific papers and referencing
4. R 300.72 VOG Sage quantitative research methods (Pmb main library)
2. How to research by Blaxter, Hughes and Tight (2001 - McGrawHill). This book deals with the basics of what is research, getting started, methods, reading/literature review, data collection and analysis, writing up etc.
Existing theses are an excellent source of theory and application of research methods, research design etc.
UKZN has a license to the Endnote software. This programme is loaded in all lans and can also be downloaded from the UKZN software library onto private laptops and computers. Endnote allows you to create your own library of references as well as create a bibliography in a range of styles. Whilst writing a Word document it is possible to create the intext references and at the same time create the bibliography. Endnote X7 is the latest version. There are tutorials and useful 'frequently asked questions' on the Endnote site: www.endnote.com
Undertake a preliminary literature review and draw up a research proposal for your supervisor. Complete ethical clearance.